Back at VMworld 2018 US, I was a bit bummed when I heard that there was a home lab panel featuring @sirgeekness @homelaber @DemitasseNZ @virtualhobbit and @importcarguy, at the very same time as I was scheduled to present on another stage. Well, I wasn't bummed for long, since the ever effervescent Lindy Collier-Grady @indylindy22 soon reached out to me to ask if I could be a guest on her Hello From My Homelab series. Heck yeah, sign me up, or something along those lines was my rapid reply.
So kind of Lindy to take time from her weekend to record a Zoom meeting with me recently, and I hope some of you find value in hearing my story, while having a look at my new workbench and some of the equipment on it. I went with a simple Logitech C920 webcam video, and Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones, to allow easy movement around as needed. My workbench is a key part of my home lab space that I've carved out of my finished basement, and I'll be blogging more about how I put that all together soon. For now, I'm just so glad I finally have the ability to stay organized, getting more done in less time with better lighting, with all my equipment nearby. I'm having a blast down there, with so many ideas for future projects and posts.
What I show is the workbench portion of my home "lab" that's my way to make my day, doing what I love, tinkering with a variety of gear and sharing what I learn. The video features looks at the latest in NVMe SSDs including Intel Optane / 3D XPoint, a new motherboard, and a SuperServer Bundle. I also show you around my Windows desktop featuring my VMware vSphere 6.7 cluster, which was easily patched to the very latest level, of course.
If you're interested in learning more about the turn-key SuperServer Bundle that anybody can buy, with a detailed BOM (Build Of Materials), see also
- March 1st Connecticut VMUG UserCon - one lucky attendee will win a TinkerTry'd SuperServer, thanks to the VMware User Group!
Feb 21 2018
Everybody has such wildly different ideas about what a home lab can do for them, and for you, so please be sure to check completely different opinions than mine on the VMUG YouTube Channel, featuring many episodes of Hello From My Homelab presented by VMUGAdvantage.
Sep 29 2020 update - I believe the link below may have been archived, but I found a copy here:
Of course, my videos feature heavy reliance on software from VMUG Advantage EVALExperience! Just remember, when signing up for your first year, use the discount code of TINKERTRY to get your $20 off that $200 investment in your IT career.
- All my articles about EVALExperience.
- How to update any VMware ESXi Hypervisor to the latest using ESXCLI for easy download and install
Aug 14 2018
- How to download your VMUG Advantage EVALExperience VMware vSphere 6.7 VCSA and ESXi ISOs and 365 day license keys
May 04 2018
- Featured on "Home Gadget Geeks" Episode #340 "Paul Braren and Vintage Tech, 70s thru 90s Head Phones, Cell Phones, Camcorders and Video Games – HGG340"
Jan 07 2018
- VMUG Advantage EVALExperience includes latest VMware vRealize Log Insight 4.5 syslog server appliance for easy vSphere, vSAN, IoT, and networking gear log file analysis
Oct 16 2017
- VMUG Advantage just added the latest VMware Workstation 14 Pro and Fusion 10 Pro to EVALExperience
Oct 12 2017
VMTN reincarnated! EVALExperience is to VMware Professionals what MSDN/TechNet is to Microsoft Professionals.
Jan 15 2015
- Order a TinkerTry'd Supermicro SuperServer Bundle - powerful and efficient home virtualization lab solutions
Oct 30 2015