Back at January 2016's VTUG New England Winter Warmer 2016 in Gillette Stadium near Boston, I was walking along a hallway when I was suddenly pretty much tackled by an unusually exhuberant Peter Keilty from VMware, who I had just seen a month before at a November VMUG in Providence. What could be so exciting for me to see in this new session, that I hadn't seen already?
Well, let's just say what I did see was impressive. Grant Challenger kicked things off in his appropriate football jersey, then Peter gave us all a pretty good peek at what's coming up next in vSAN 6.2.
I realize not everybody lives near Boston. So I'm glad Peter and Grant have shared their presentation, which I now present to you, hosted on fast global AWS CloudFront. Enjoy! Then take a moment share your thoughts by dropping a comment below. I know "S" has already shown his enthusiasm in his vSAN comments here, which started as RAID comments on a SuperServer back here.
Area Sales Manager – East
Storage and Availability
VMware Virtual SAN Resources
• VMware.com – Product – Virtual SAN
- http://www.vmware.com/products/virtual-san/ VMware Infrastructure Planner – VIP
• VMware Virtual SAN TCO and Sizing Calculator
• VMware Compatibility Guide for Virtual SAN
• Virtual SAN Hardware Quick Reference Guide
• Doc landing page: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/virtual-san-pubs.html
– VMware Virtual SAN Review: Overview and
– VMware Virtual SAN Review: VMmark Performance
– VMware Virtual SAN Review: Sysbench OLTP
– VMware Virtual SAN Review: SQL Server
- Supermicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T vSAN dream is alive! Home lab video overview features Intel SSDs and Samsung M.2 SSDs
Reminder, vSAN requires very careful enterprise grade gear for proper operations. Any long term tinkering with vSAN in your home lab could lead to premature SSD death, due to the write-heavy nature of this solution. You've been warned!
Be sure to consult the:
Virtual SAN Hardware Compatibility Guide - VMware
What’s new for Virtual SAN 6.2?
Feb 10 2016 by Duncan Epping at Yellow-Bricks
- 2 Node Virtual SAN (ROBO vSAN) Deployment
Oct 29 2015 by Peter Keilty at Live Virtually