Ran through the streets from my distant hotel, missed breakfast, and made it for the keynote here in San Francisco on this sunny Monday morning. Yes, the the announcement of vSphere 5.1 was made, with very little mention of the new features. What's unclear is what can be said about any beta testing folks have been doing, but I should have clarity on that soon.
Meanwhile here's an excellent article that pulls together a lot of information known so far, enjoy!
vSphere 5.1 Announced!, Hersey Cartwright, August 28, 2012
Here's Duncan Epping's excellent list of resources:
- What's New in VMware vSphere 5.1
- What's New in VMware vCenter 5.1
- What's New in VMware vSphere 5.1 - Networking
- What's New in VMware vSphere 5.1 - Platform
- What's New in VMware vSphere 5.1 - Storage
- What's New in VMware vSphere 5.1 - Performance
- Introduction to VMware vSphere Replication
- Introduction to VMware vSphere Data Protection
- What's New in VMware vSphere Storage Appliance
- What's New in vCloud Director 5.1
FYI, Duncan Epping is aware that yellow-bricks.com is down, due to high traffic. I got to meet him today briefly, right after this fun panel:
Here's the view from the front row, Chad Sakac, Frank Denneman, Duncan Epping, Scott Lowe, a customer, and moderator Rick Scherer, with hundreds in attendance behind us:
And here's a panaramic look, click for a more immersive view:
Aug. 28 2012 Update:
Pricing and Availability
VMware vSphere 5.1 and VMware vSphere Storage Appliance 5.1 are expected to be generally available on September 11, 2012.
Sep. 11 2012 Update:
Download now generally available: