Intel released Intel Xeon D 10GbE X552/X557 driver version 4.5.3 today for VMware ESXi, testing underway
I'm in the middle of testing this driver. Keep an eye on the process at this spot in the original article:
- How to download and install the Intel Xeon D 10GbE X552/X557 driver/VIB for VMware ESXi 6.x, works for X540 too
Nov 02 2015
that has been updated many times since it was initially published. Can you believe that was 2 years ago? Despite delayed VMware driver availability after the launch of Xeon D, it sure has been clear ever since that Intel continues to actively develop this 10GbE driver. It’s noteworthy that the Xeon D platform includes motherboard designs with a 7 year design lifespan.
This same driver is also for the X540 AIC (Add In Card) PCIe card, like the one I picked up on eBay to migrate data quickly off an old, non-Xeon D system I occasionally still use in my home lab.
My 4.5.3 testing is completely documented, including step-by-step guide to exactly how I located the proper download, unpacked and uploaded the VIB, held there to allow the https get method for very easy installation. The process appears solid, but only time and further testing will determine whether the driver 4.5.3 works fine for my 10GbE home network. Stay tuned!
As usual, you should take precautions before making any changes to your home lab. But don't worry, I documented pre-upgrade backup options at this spot in my recent Xeon D-friendly article:
- How to easily update your VMware Hypervisor from 6.5.x to 6.5 Update 1 Express Patch 04 (ESXi 6.5 U1 EP04)
Oct 08 2017
Finally, I want to highlight that there are several very relevant articles that are likely of interest to you to read, check out the hand-curated list below, in chronological order.
See also at TinkerTry
- How to check which network firmware and driver version your VMware ESXi server is currently using
Oct 31 2017
- How to check that your TCP Segmentation Offload is turned on in both your VMware ESXi server and your VM
Oct 29 2017
- It's Bugtober, with Adobe Flash crashes, numerous CVE vulnerability patches for Wi-Fi and routers, and an Intel SPI vulnerability patch for most Xeon D Supermicro SuperServers
Oct 24 2017
- 10G networking for your Laptop - Promise SANLink3 T1 NBaseT Adapter blesses your Thunderbolt 3/USB-C desktop or laptop with 1.0/2.5/5.0/10GbE speeds
Jul 30 2017