Easier way to install Hotfix KB686867 for WHS2011 Dashboard or Launchpad “Computer Monitoring Error”
You receive the warning "Computer Monitoring Error" in Windows Home Server 2011 after you install Update Rollup 2, this includes the message "Can only partially assess the health of this computer." You can install this hotfix on the server, and have the fix automatically propagated to all clients. This is at least a half-hour project, if you have 10 client PCs and wish to preemptively avoid the PC users from getting nagged to reboot.
Read more about this, here:
UR2 Computer Monitoring Error Hotfix now available from Microsoft
Microsoft releases Computer Monitoring Error hotfix for SBS 2011 Essentials and Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials:
The client-side hotfix package for Update Rollup 2 for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, for Windows Home Server 2011, and for Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials is available
“Computer Monitoring Error” on Dashboard or Launchpad:
Instead of signing up at support.microsoft.com/kb/2686857 and giving your contact info then using the email, you can actually get the patch directly downloaded from these sites, note that both EXE files are identical!
hotfix for Windows Home Server 2011 with Update Rollup 2:
hotfix for Windows Home Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials:
Despite this being a client side fix, and a bit of a pain to implement (way more time than I wanted to spend on fixing this minor nuisance error), I did find it easiest to distribute the fix by following this installation procedure:
- Right-click, Copy the 446484_intl_x64_zip.exe downloaded from the previous section (into your clipboard)
- Paste the 446484_intl_x64_zip.exe into a Remote Desktop Connection to your Windows Home Server 2011 based product
- Double-click the 446484_intl_x64_zip.exe to execute, and choose a temporary folder to extract the files to
- Double-click to launch the Windows6.1-KB2686867-x64.msu to launch it, its 80MB in size and takes a minute or two to install
- You may now delete the folder that you extracted the installation files to
- Reboot the server
- Note that the Launchpad and Dashboard on all connected computers will be offered an upgrade, once the PC client is upgraded, it will unfortunately prompt you to reboot
- Once the client is rebooted
a) that client will longer show as grey in the "Computers and Backup" view of the Dashboard
b) you're all done, the Computer Monitoring Error no longer pops up every 30 minutes!
c) you may want to log into each client PC and reboot to finish the client installs there as well, repeating until all PCs are no longer grey in the "Computers and Backup" view